Obedient to Their Own Husbands
That they may teach the younger women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands…….
- Willing and eager to accomplish injunctions or desires
- Abstaining from that which is forbidden
Genesis 3:16 … and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
Ephesians 2:22-24…. Wives submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, and he is the savior of the body. Therefore, as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.
Proverbs 12:4….. A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband; but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones.
Proverbs 31:11…… The heart of her husband doeth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
- Worthy of confidence
Proverbs 31:12….. She will do him good and not evil all the days of his life.
- Constant in her love
A man will resist with all his might those who come against him. Most women spend their whole married lives in conflict with their husbands, trying to change them. It is a battle of the wills that no woman has ever rightly won, for even if she gets his compliance, she loses her heart, and he loses his self-respect.
When a woman resists or tries to change a man, she makes him more stubborn, and her own heart will be filled with bitterness. If a woman obeys God, a man does not have anything to come against, to resist, to conquer, or to beat down. A woman’s greatest power is in obeying God through obeying and honoring her husband. When she departs from God’s order, she is setting herself up to create a life of turmoil, bitterness, and defeat- for both of them.
Remember: God does not appoint a wife to be her husband’s conscience.
Traits of a Good Help Meet
- An obedient wife is yielding, willing and eager to accomplish desires, and abstain from that which is forbidden.
- She looks for ways to obey and reverence her husband.
- She channels her mind into positive ways of saying “yes”.
- She never considers herself to be an exception to the rule of being a help meet.
Dealing with a MAD or ANGRY husband:
It is common for men to react with sudden anger when things do not go their way. They can get mad over a lawnmower, a family appliance, or a child talking too much. It is unregulated testosterone seeking a conflict. It is not usually conflict-induced, and seems totally irrational to us ladies who must have a reason to get mad.
Women are led by their emotions to be sentimental, and men are led by their emotions to be aggressive, even to the edge of violence. It is sin for them to have no more self-control than boys in day care, but it is their sin, not yours. There is not one thing we ladies can do to change this tendency. God can give a man total self-control. The man who walks after the Spirit will be as meek as Christ, but let’s face it; most marriages start off with a man who is not perfect like Christ.
The wisest way to handle the aggressive husband is by not taking personal offense. Always, avoid “provoking’ him. Most women know what causes their man to lose their cool. Give him time to cool down, he will feel ashamed soon enough. Although, this explosive anger is emotionally upsetting and certainly not pleasant, it is a man-thing that a smart woman can learn to deal with in a wise manner.
Some Final Thoughts from Scripture to meditate on:
- Younger women, bear children
- Younger women, guide the house
- Wives, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully
- Wives, submit to your own husbands
- Wives, love your own husbands
- Wives, love your children
- Women, be discreet
- Women, be chaste
- Women, be keepers at home
- Women, be sober
- Women, be good
- Women, do not usurp authority over the man
- Wives, reverence your own husband
- Wives, have chaste conversation
- Women, adorn yourselves in modest apparel
- Women, have shamefacedness and sobriety
- Wives, have a meek and quiet spirit
- Wives, render due benevolence to your husband
- Wives, care how you may please your husband
- Women, keep silence in the churches
- Women are not permitted to speak in church
- Wives, be not idle
- Wives, do not wander about gossiping from house to house
- Wives, do not be tattlers or busybodies
Taken from one of my favorite marriage books …. Created to be His Help Meet, by Debi Pearl
Teresa A. Haley